Here’s a recipe that takes 10 minutes, uses 4 ingredients, has minimal risk of injuring you in the kitchen (unless you can’t resist licking the spoon (warning #1)), and creates maximal refrains of “Oh my god, you need to eat this now” (seriously, I took it to a holiday party and it was such a hit).
Christmas Crack (cue angels singing)
Time: 10 minutes plus cooling (warning #2)
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 cups of chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate but dark chocolate would be better)
Preheat over to 400.
- Put saltines in a layer on a jellyroll pan, cookie sheet or whatever other flat surface you have that is oven safe. Eat the broken saltines while you do everything else.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Do not taste because you will burn yourself. Do not lick the spoon because you will burn yourself. Wash the pan out immediately when you’re done because otherwise you will be tempted to taste the dredges and it will still be hot and you will burn yourself (warnings #3-5).
- Pour melted brown sugar mixture over saltines and pop the tray in the oven for 5ish minutes.
- Take out and while still warm (do not try them at this point because you will burn yourself; I did not learn my lesson from burning myself while licking the spoon in step 2) sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Wait a minute and then use a spatula to spread the melty chocolate chips over the surface.
Let them cool, eat the non-perfect ones to remove any doubt that you can execute perfection, and if you have enough restraint, package any remaining ones for others. If you are feeling fancy, put something pretty on them. Otherwise, just be proud you were able to save enough from your face to share with others. Ta-da!